, , , , ,

The day following our climb up Hen Cloud was very wet and chilly.  We did a little shopping and visited the Book Barn at Brierlow Bar where we both found some interesting books to buy.  We spent the rest of the day resting and reading.  Richard was feeling unwell as he often does on a Saturday which is when he takes a once-weekly tablet for his osteo-porosis.

The next day was our last full day in the Peak District.  It began with rain but by lunchtime the weather was beginning to brighten up.  We went into Leek and indulged in some more oatcakes and on our return to the caravan we were pleased to see that the awning was dry and so we emptied it and took it down while we could.   We drove to Ramshaw Rocks and took our last walk in the Peaks this year.


I had to take a photo of the colourful plants we saw at the beginning of our walk

The Rosebay Willowherb (Chamerion angustifolium) had started to change colour because of the cooler temperatures.  The bright green grass, the cooler green of the fir tree, the purple heather and the bright pink of the willowherb looked so good together.


There was still some Rosebay Willowherb in flower


Ramshaw Rocks


The purple hill in the centre of this photo is Hen Cloud where we had climbed a couple of days before


I love the way these limestone rocks have been eroded by wind and rain


The path was a little wet after all the rain we had had.


Ramshaw Rocks


Very strange!


The path


I always think this looks like a pointing finger


Ramshaw Rocks

There was very low light and the rain was never far away during the whole of our walk.


Looking towards Hen Cloud again


Another view from the rocks


Richard found a pleasant place to sit. Underneath him was a shelter from wind and rain. I can imagine that sheep would like it here in the winter.


Looking down to the road beneath.


Ramshaw Rocks


I call this rock the Top Hat. Those of you who know the 1995 TV adaptation of Pride and Prejudice with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth may recognise this rock.  

We returned to the car and went back to out caravan to spend our last night away from home.  The next morning we set off at 6.00 am to travel to Sheffield to collect Elinor before Alice set off for work at 8.00 am.  We took her back to Blackshaw Moor, collected the caravan and went home.

Thanks for visiting!